Once you apply, bring your valid photo ID to any San Jose library location within 30 days, along with your proof of address, to pick up your card.
How to Get a Library Card
- Be a California resident.
- Bring a Photo ID, such as a California Driver’s License, Passport, or Green Card.
- Bring Proof of your Current Address in California, such as a California Driver's License, paycheck, or piece of mail postmarked within 30 days.
- If you can show a photo ID but not proof of your current address, you can get what we call a "Limited Status" Library Card which allows you to borrow 1 item at a time.
- For Children and Teens Under 18: Your parent or legal guardian must accompany you to the library, provide identification, and agree to the borrowing rules.
What Your Library Card Gets You
Your Library Card gets you all kinds of access to the library's materials, online content, and computing services.
- Check out books, movies, music, and more at any library location
- Use your Library Account online to:
- Renew checked out items
- Place requests for items to be sent to your local branch for pick-up
- Set up Reading History to save a list of everything you've checked out (only visible to you)
- Set up email alerts for new items by your favorite authors or about your favorite topics
- Get email alerts before items are due
- Use the Library's numerous online research resources and online magazines/newspapers from home
- Download popular eBooks, eAudioBooks, and eMusic from home
- Request books from other California libraries through Link+
- Request items from libraries worldwide through ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan)
- Use the library's computers or study rooms at any library location
- Download museum passes from Discover & Go
- Discount admission to gallery exhibits at the Tech Museum (see details)
- Discount admission at any Camera Cinemas box office ($3 off a $10 general admission ticket)
How to Access Your Account Online
- To login, select the Log In link at the top of our website
- Enter your name, Library Card number (see back of card) and PIN.
Your default PIN (Personal Identification Number) is set as the last 4 digits of your phone number, unless you've chosen otherwise.
- Changing the PIN Yourself: If you know your current Library PIN, you may change it anytime by logging in to your Library Account and selecting Modify your PIN.
- If You Forget Your PIN: You can Reset Your PIN automatically. An email will be sent to the email address in your library record, including a link that will allow you to select a new PIN.
Lost Library Card?
If your Library Card is lost or stolen, please contact the Library immediately. You are responsible for all charges from items borrowed on your Card before the Library is notified of your Card's loss, so you'll want to tell us as soon as possible.
Renew Your Library Card
Library Cards expire every few years. When your library card expires, please bring a photo ID and proof of address to your branch for card renewal.